I am the proverbial square peg in the round hole. A non-comformist, who identifies with the inhabitants of the Land of the Misfit Toys. And now in a new book by Malcolm Gladwell, he espouses the theory (with some compelling examples) of how being different has its advantages.
After reading the book David and Goliath: Underdogs, Misfits and the Art of Battling Giants, I feel oddly vindicated. I know that some believe that Gladwell deals with a lot of pseudoscience and only picks stories which support his theories, but I believe that he does have a point.
From early on in school, we are expected to learn by rote. Memorization of facts and figures is the key to success, whilst questioning, exploring and yearning for discussion of logical extensions of "truisms" is discouraged. I personally always did poorly and hated multiple choice questions, because given a platform I could possibly make a compelling case for at least 3 out of the 5 choices.
Gladwell makes a case that approaching problems with a different viewpoint or with what may seem like an underdog situation can allow success where others have failed. His initial example of David and Goliath is that Goliath, who was obviously huge, angry and a skilled hand-to-hand combatant was able to do away with anyone who battled him "mano-a-mano." David didn't come near him. His agility and his use of the slingshot brought down the mighty warrior, a feat which was completely unexpected.
One of the interesting points that Gladwell makes is there is such a strong gravitational-like pull to conform and follow the "tried & true" methods. Even if success was achieved via an "out-of-the-box" approach, inevitably that "being different" quality is lost and often success goes with it. In other words, people and organizations become "victims" of their own success. Consider corporations like RIM, Nortel, Blockbuster, Netscape, Kodak etc. All were unique, different and highly successful -- until they weren't. It is a sad testament but certainly supportive of Gladwell's theory.
When someone is different, thinks differently, approaches issues and life differently, at first we may be intrigued, but inevitably we marginalize them. It is like that children's game "One of These Things is Not Like the Other." When in corporate, we try to get people to conform in dress, in methodology, in approach, and those that throw out the "bizarre" ideas? Well, more often than not, there is eye-rolling that takes place, perhaps a chuckle, and then the discussion moves on. Or as has been the case in my experience where I've been told "that won't work. You are ahead of your time."
Arrrggghhh. Well, that was my inside voice during these types of discussions, because no one was willing to explore the possibilities. Perhaps I was ahead of the curve, but should a corporation truly just wait until the competition changes the game and then try to play catch-up?
Now don't get me wrong. I can conform with the best of them, but only for a period of time. It is not my natural state, and if you try to force someone to be something they are not, well it doesn't work out for anyone.
Now don't get me wrong. I can conform with the best of them, but only for a period of time. It is not my natural state, and if you try to force someone to be something they are not, well it doesn't work out for anyone.
Last year I wrote about the harassment of Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer and his "different" pals. Each one was ostracized because of non-conformity. Inevitably as the story unfolds, these "underdogs" were the ones who were able to tame the Abominable Snow Monster, and ensure Santa could deliver his toys on that foggy night. Oh and let's not forget about those "different from the others" toys, which were exiled to an island, because these non-conformist toys could certainly not be given to children!
Most job descriptions that I read are looking for conformity. Job postings are always looking for the "experience in the industry" or some conforming requirements. Hiring managers and headhunters rarely consider the "out of the box" candidate, because that would be too risky.
Our society embraces predictability and conformity. And I'm not saying that this is a totally bad thing. I think there needs to be diversity of thought…if you just had a merry-band of non-conformists/misfits, that wouldn't be good either.
But what I am suggesting is that you embrace those in your corporation and in your life who are different -- who think differently, who act differently, who sometimes might try your patience with the "out-there" ideas being proffered, those who are the misfits. Don't marginalize them and don't try to force them to be like everyone else. Their uniqueness will bring texture to your life and your organization and help propel you forward.
So go ahead and embrace a misfit today! You'll both feel better for it!
So go ahead and embrace a misfit today! You'll both feel better for it!


No comments:
Post a Comment